Indian Railways is known for its long-distance journeys. Trains in India travel from one part of the country to another. However, to make the passengers comfortable, Indian Railways has added a dedicated pantry car or some trains like Rajdhani also serve food at no additional charge.
What if you don’t want to eat the food that’s being served on the train and want something to eat like burger, dosa or Chinese food?
Sounds interesting right? Well, here are the steps to order your favourite food during a train journey.
Things you should know before using this service
- You’ll need a confirmed ticket or waiting ticket to book the meal as you’ll need to enter the PNR and train details while ordering the food.
- The e-catering service offers the option to pay both online as well as in cash on delivery.
- Currently, the e-catering service is available between 6am and 10pm.
- If the train is delayed and food is not delivered, a complete refund will be provided to users
How to book food on the train journey
Currently, there are three ways to order food on train journeys – using e-catering website, Food on Track mobile app and by calling 1323
Steps to book food using e-catering website
Visit ‘www.ecatering.irctc.co.in and enter the PNR no
Choose the station from the drop down menu.
After this, a list of all the restaurants will appear, choose the one from which you want to order food.
Add the food in your cart and proceed with the payment.
A delivery code will be provided which you will need to share at the time of delivery
Steps to book food using the app
- Download the ‘Food on Track’ app on your smartphone (available on both Android and iPhone)
- After this enter the PNR details, choose the restaurant and food, make the payment
It is wrong to say that food is not charged in Rajdhani type trains, it is charged. The details are given in break up of fare and this is shown as catering chrges. Option of not taking food is alsi there and if opted, catering charges are reduced from fare.